Friday, January 26, 2007

Revelation

Deep in conversation with a close cousin of mine last night, I think he hit the bullseye on one of the [many] million dollar questions in my life: 'why haven't I been able to keep a boyfriend for more than 3 months?'

He said: "You are the guy's best friend, confidant, and lover. You are a laugh, do not nag, do not expect flowers, and you prefer to maintain most aspects of your independent life. You like few people, and when you do, you do everything to keep them in your life, selflessly, with minimum drama.'

For me, the above is effortless. To me it is how I want my partner to be. You get what you give, right?

Apparently not. You need to be slightly possessive, you need to express your feelings - no matter how stupid they are. You need to be less accommodating and less available. You need to stop giving them the benefit of the doubt. You need to let them know that if you aren't treated right, you will not be around.

You have to make it about YOU, because if you don't, it never will be and you will remain everybody's taken for granted sidekick.

Ouch.

Recommended solution: I need to inject some ego into my system and take a high intravenous dose of self-pride.
Global Voices Online - The world is talking. Are you listening? Locations of visitors to this page