Friday, April 21, 2006

Shakuntala



While half of Dubai was preparing for Robbie William's orgasms, I was watching Shankuntala - a rock opera. This Kevin Oliver production was one of the best I have seen. About 30 odd talented singers and dancers enacted this 2- hour long epic, through 22 wonderful songs.

You know how you watch something that is so emotive - you have this constant strain in your mind; a strain that is just waiting to burst into a tear or a smile? that's how I felt throughout. But I'm generally sensitive when it comes to live performances, I just love them - and really get engrossed.

What a magnificent performance by each and every cast -for some of which this was their first performance.
I found it amazing how they communicated excitement, love, pain, anger and happiness so accuratley through song and dance.

Also, the lights, sets and costumes were just brilliant - what attention to detail. I felt so rewarded watching this - I can't even imagine how rewarding it must feel to have been part of its production. It took Kevin about 10 years to perfect this musical. When I saw him on the way out, I wanted to give him a big hug - but restrained to a handshake :)

Anyway, if you live in Dubai and are free over the next 5 days - a must see.


Global Voices Online - The world is talking. Are you listening? Locations of visitors to this page