Saturday, April 15, 2006

Celebrity impact

Yesterday I watched Aamir Khan on TV for almost an hour, as he demonstrated his support to Medha Patkar's Narmada Bachao Andolan (Save the Narmada Revolution).

So as 3 activists are almost unconscious from the hunger strike they have been on for the last 16 days; I gave thought to their peaceful protests only when I saw Aamir Khan, an actor who is known more for his box office film hits than his concern for the lives of people in rural India. Quite pathetic huh. The pictures of activisits slain by starvation and dehydration were not enough for me to care about their cause.

Media coverage on this issue was splashed across all print and TV media, thanks to the mere presence of the film fraternity.

Well, I guess it's all good - the Narmada Bachao Andolan got some more, much deserved air time. But they should have got it anyway.

Maybe it was a publicity stunt for Aamir; maybe his role in Rang De Basanti inspired him to be part of something real and make a difference. Who knows. Who cares. The ends justify the means ay.

I look forward to the day when I will wake up not needing a hotshot celebrity to get me to listen intently to human issues around the world.
Global Voices Online - The world is talking. Are you listening? Locations of visitors to this page